Saturday, September 5, 2009

First Day of School

The girls started school a couple of weeks ago. They had a week and a day off, while we were frantically searching for a house. As soon as we found one, and our offer was accepted, we signed them up! They were actually pretty excited to go because they were getting bored at our apartment! I went to Back to School night a couple of nights ago and so far so good! The girls are adjusting well and making friends.
Big differences from California and Kansas schools...
1. It cost $95 in student fees to let them go to school. I was shocked when they told me I would need to have a check for $190! You won't see that in Cali!
2. Another shocker was the list of school supplies needed. That cost another $70! Is Kaitlyn really going to use 9 large glue sticks this year?
3. The school day is much longer here. School starts at 8:35 and is over at 3:35.
4. The campus is not gated and locked as it is in California. We took the kids to play at the school playground one evening. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I don't want to compromise their safety at school, but it sure is nice to have a fun playground and field to enjoy after hours!
5. Homework is not nearly as intense as at Tovashal. I am not complaining about that one at all! Brittany hardly has homework and Kaitlyn will sometimes have it! I guess an extra hour a day at school leaves little time for homework and being a kid!
6. The drop off system in the morning is so much more efficient than the chaos at Tovashal!
The traditional First Day of School Pics...
Brittany 9 years Old

Kaitlyn 6 years old

Eric wishes he was going to school too...next year!

2 comments:

Brynn said...

I'm glad to hear that someone got it right with pick up & drop offs! Our school's insane! Don't sweat the $$$ - if you were still here in CA you'd find that you'd have to pay for a chair if your kids wanted to sit, paper if they wanted to write, and anything else a student might need, due to CA's beautiful budget! This year has cost us a fortune. In Illinois the schools weren't locked up and it never had that "jail" feel that's here. And I'm loving the lighter homework - maybe we're ready for Kansas after all?!?!

By the way, yes, Kelly Furgeson was teaching me Elements. It's way more complicated that I thought - take the class for sure!

Can't wait to see you soon!

Steve and Rebecca said...

Great picture of all 4 kids!