This was Kaitlyn and Eric's first trip on a plane! They were pretty giddy and excited as we prepared do depart on our 5 1/2 hour red-eye flight.
After arriving in Boston on Thursday morning, we drove to the beautiful state of New Hampshire where we spent our first night in Portsmouth. While there, we took a boat tour of the Portsmouth Harbor and the Isles of Shoals with none other than our good friends, Mary and Lance! They moved to Utah a couple of years ago and we are never in town when they come out for a visit and even stay at our house, but we randomly were vacationing in the same place all the way across the country!
The kids had a great time playing together and Shaun and I enjoyed the good company and peaceful boat ride after not very many hours of sleep!
My grandmother was born and raised in Kittery, Maine, just across the harbor from Portsmouth. Her brother's family still lives in New Hampshire and we had the privilege of spending time with my dad's cousins while there! Fred took us to Newicks, the best seafood place! Shaun and I couldn't pass up the lobster and clam chowder!
On the Fourth of July, Fred took us all around the area, giving us a taste of the beauty of New England! We saw just enough to know we want to come back again soon!
We bought Goldenrod Kisses at York Beach
The kids got to ride some of the rides at the York animal park. Their grandpa used to ride those rides as a kid!
They loved playing on the rocks at Nubble Light house
We got to see the house their Great Grandmother grew up in and the creek she was baptized in! She was the first member of the church in Kittery!
Later that day, we drove to Wolfeboro, NH, where we spent the next two nights with Joyce and Joel, Fred's sister. They live in a beautiful home right on Lake Crescent. As a child, I have many fond memories with their family on the adjoining lake, fishing, boating, and swimming! After a great barbeque, we went to a park where we had a fabulous view of the best fireworks show ever, over Lake Winnipesaukee!
Day 2 at the lake was our play day, with nonstop fun on the water! Joyce and Joel took us on a boat tour of lake Crescent and over to their condo on the adjoining lake, lake Wentworth. The kids spent lots of time swimming, they kayaked, floated on a tube behind the boat, and fished!
On to Massachusetts we went, where we spent the remainder of our trip. Before arriving in Boston, we went to the Plimouth Plantation.
We drove to Cohasset, after touring the Mayflower II and spent the evening with my mom's Aunt and Uncle and cousins. My mom was raised in Cohasset, a neat little town right on the ocean. Eddie and Elinor gave us a great tour of the town, while the kids stayed back at the house, playing with Donna's doll house, that my grandfather built! They loved it! We had a really nice time visiting with them and eating more fabulous food!
While in Boston, we tried to see all of the must see sights! We started with a Duck Tour of the city. It took us on land and in the water!
We spent a lot of time at the Museum of Science! We loved all of the hands on activities they had and even learned some things!
What's a trip to a city without seeing the penguin exhibit? This was Shaun's favorite penguin at the New England Aquairum!
Even though it was super hot and humid, we walked a small part of the Freedom Trail so we could go inside Paul Revere's house and see the North Church.
The kids also had fun seeing the statues of the the Ducklings in the Public Garden from the Make Way for Ducklings book.
Brittany even lost a tooth in Boston!
And Kaitlyn discovered that she has a loose tooth! She was a little upset by this realization! I'm not sure how I feel about it either...it just means that she isn't going to stay little for long!
Our flight home was great, even after sitting for 2 hours on the ground, waiting for a storm to pass! The kids watched the movie and slept. We had to wake Kaitlyn and Brittany when we landed! I think we wore them out!
7 comments:
Souns fun! When are we going to get together? I am dying out here!
What a FUN trip!!! Looks and sounds like you guys had a great time!! I LOVED seeing all the pictures! July was probabaly a super hot and humid month for doing site seeing in Boston, but it's probably the best time to go to New Hampshire! I would have loved to have seen their fireworks show, and the Lake sure looked a lot warmer than when we were there in May. What an awesome trip!! Glad you guys had such a good time!
It sounds like fun trip. I didn't know that you had such a family history there. Wow. Cool pics.
Jealous! I am so glad that you saw as much as you did and you did a lot. The picture of Eric reminded me of Spencer and Pete. I can't remember what they named their fish. Did Eric name his?
If I remember correctly, our fish's name was Melvin.
Fun trip and cute pictures! I wanted to see more side shots of your belly, however! I think I have that same green shirt you were wearing! I loved the picture of Shaun at the museum. Was that from the lobster you ate? :)
You guys do the funnest things! I'm glad you're home now though... :)
Post a Comment