Thursday, July 10, 2008

A Shout out for Costco and American Express


Here is a little story about Costco and American Express. If you shop at Costco and use their American Express card, or like happy endings, read on! We bought a Casio Exilim Camera on March 29, 2007 at Costco. It had been our favorite camera...took great pictures, easy to use, and we could use it for video as well. In the middle of June, I tried to take video of Kaitlyn learning how to ride a 2 wheeler bike and I couldn't get the "best shot" button to work to switch the camera to video mode. This really bothered me because that was one of the reasons we loved the camera so much. Then a week later, I couldn't get another button to work to delete a really bad picture of me! So, I did some research on the Casio website and discovered that the camera had a 1 year warranty! Of course! I also wasn't able to find anyone else who had a similar problem. My only option left was to call the Costco Concierge service. I talked to a very helpful person. He was unable to solve the problem, but in the end, we came out ahead! He recommended that I contact American Express, if I had purchased the camera with my American Express card. They extend the warranty of electronics up to one year. I immediately called them, talked to another helpful person, explained the problem, told her the approximate amount that I had spent on the camera and she told me it could take up to two weeks for the claims dept. to make a decision on what they would do. Well, in the mean time, I went to Costco and had them print a receipt for my purchases the day I bought the camera. A couple of days later I called American Express to see if they wanted me to fax the receipt to them. They told me that they had credited my account that day for the camera! Wow! They credited us $9 less than what we had paid, but who's complaining, I immediately went to Costco and bought the same camera (with a few slight changes) for $50 less! Thank you Costco and American Express! We won't use anything else!

1 comment:

Brynn said...

Sams club is better. :)