Next stop was the 25 cent electric shuttle that took us up State Street to my favorite childhood ice cream cone shop...Rite Aid! I think the store was Thrifty when I was a kid, and the cones probably didn't cost much more than 35 cents, but it is still the same great ice cream and it is still a pretty good deal! So good, that we had ice cream every day of our vacation!
In Shaun's research about Solvang, he found a great little hike, perfect for our family! We tried to be completely serious the whole time we were in "No Jokie" park, but it got a little hard at times!
Part of our daily fun included playing at a park. This park was part of the Nojoqui falls park. Of course, there is always a picture you wish you would have captured...you will just have to imagine Eric going head first down this slide, his arms bending some strange way, as he does a nose dive flip off of the slide, head first into the wood chips! Too bad we missed that great shot!
After endless hours in the swimming pool, day 2 ended with more ice cream and a movie by the fire in our lovely 2 bedroom condo!
Solvang is known for its great danish pastries and aebelskievers and unique danish shops. It is probably not the most kid friendly of places, but with the promise of a souvenir and aebelskievers, we managed to get a little bit of time walking around this neat town! We will save the pastries for another trip, but my favorite was the farmers market that we walked thru on Wednesday afternoon. Tons of fresh flowers, some great fruit and really tasty, fresh, kettle corn!
Another great park, this one in Solvang, near the miniature pony farm, more swimming...(another great shot we missed... Eric was so excited to get in the 1 foot kids pool that he went racing in, not realizing that he still had his hoodie and shoes on! Oh well, thank goodness for a washer and dryer in our room!) More ice cream and packing our bags ended day 3 of our fun!
Thursday morning we said goodbye to Solvang and drove to Santa Barbara for our Whale Watching adventure. It went something like the Gilligan Island song...the weather started getting rough,the tiny ship was tossed,... We went out on a 50 foot catamaran! It was amazing how cold it got once we left the harbor! The white caps on the swells made it difficult to spot whales. In fact, we didn't see any! No worries though, we got free vouchers for another whale watching trip another time. I'm really excited to go back!
Well, another great California Family vacation! We still have a few more spots along the coast that we would like to explore and lots of places inland that are waiting for us to experience! Stay tuned!
7 comments:
Fun Fun Fun...! My mom and dad love Solvang. I really want to go there. To bad Aus and I can't come with Brandon to see you in a couple weeks. Keep your fingers crossed that the interview will go well, and we can come down with him to find a place to live. Tell your kids hi.
Looks like a way fun spring break! Reading everyon else's Spring Break blogs is getting me excited for our vacations coming soon too! (Wedding in CO, Yellow Stone cabin with Damon's family, Disneyland hopefully in the fall).
Our spring break is this next month -and we haven't even thought of what to do yet! But,I am sort of getting this feeling like we need to hurry and do anything we've wanted to do here in Utah but haven't -since I feel pretty strongly we're moving out of state. We'll see what happens. Weird thing is, I think we've pretty much done everything I would want to do here.
What a FUN spring break!! Wow- you guys really did it all! I loved all the cute pictures! So, next family vacation's going to be out east- right?!!?
So it's pronounced "no jokie?" Or did you guys just decide to call it that? We see the turn off every time we go to Camarillo and have never gone there. I think we will just have to go there next time we go south. Great trip!
My favorite Thrifty's ice cream was double chocolate malted crunch. That was good!
Also, I got my first pair of wooden shoes in Solvang. That's where I learned life's most important lesson - sacrifice comfort for looks.
Santa Barbara was great those many years ago...wasn't it. Fun times. We'll have to plan a repeat trip with our kids! I'm excited to see you in a couple of weeks!
I am proud of you for going along with Shaun's attempt to make you look really silly, driving one of those family bikes. You should play a joke on him next time!
Post a Comment